Thursday, July 15, 2010

Planespotting KLIT #1 - 07/05/2010

July 5th this year saw me finally realize my new-found passion - aviation and photography. I have become acutely interested in jetplanes and commercial aviation - and with a bit of background in photography, I was itching to try my hand at catching some images of planes arriving and departing our state's largest airport at Little Rock (LIT). Now - admittedly the traffic levels and quality at LIT don't even come near to rivalling that of some of the more major hubs I have had the pleasure of frequenting (EWR and LGW specifically), I find that I am now looking at aviation in a different light. Through enthusiast's eyes, if you will.

And so - the day after Independence Day - my ever-patient hubby and I (along with our ever-tag-along, Kaylee the Jackabee) travelled to LIT airport (via the dog park) so that I could try my hand at my first batch of jet photographs. There is a very nice strip of gravel located off of E. Roosevelt Rd. (close to where Frazier Pike meets E. Roosevelt Rd.), right where the railroad comes its closest to the road, where you can set up just south of the western-most runway (I am still hunting for the names/numbers of LIT's two runways). This gravel "cul-de-sac" provides great viewing for takeoffs, being only slightly south of the takeoff path for aircraft departing LIT on this runway (when they are departing to the south-west, I might add). This will be our haunt for many moons to come, I am sure.

My equipment isn't exactly state-of-the-art, nor is my method for spotting and photographing airplanes. I am still very green and would be considered the newest kind of newbie by any planespotters who've been doing this for more than a couple of weeks - but I'm having fun and learning. That's what counts.

My first attempt at aviation photography provided the following photographs. Enjoy!


LIT provides the beginnings of what was going to be a CRJ-fest. I'm not fussy. In fact, I'm positively euphoric.



This is where I'm supposed to say "hmmmm, yes. This is tail # xxslkjh-308fd taxiing on rwy #30bbt7, headed to PHX, 20 minutes late today".
Yeah. No. Instead - I give you "random CRJ #2 taxiing".



My first ever shot of an airborne jet. Gravy.



Kind of interesting to see the bird in this one - although perspective is probably very flattened.



What I believe to be an American Eagle leaving.



Yup - American. I'm loving today at this point - hanging out of the passenger side window of our minivan with an inverted neck trying to follow jets on TOGA power. Awesome!




Another takeoff...




Ahhhhhh. The cherry on top of the cake. I was growing accustomed enough to the lighting, camera behavior and physical situation that I managed to shoot off this shot of this beautiful little CRJ. My first tail #!! Yeah!
N920EV belonging to Atlantic Southeast (operating as Delta Express) departs LIT in the mid-morning sun. This jet is a one-of-a-kind - being the 100th CRJ to be purchased by ASA, hence the paint scheme. "100 CRJs and climbing!". Just awesome!!



My husband snapped off this shot now that my appetite had been satiated by N920EV.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Love your photos - and the planes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! :-)

    We had an awesome time - and we're going back tomorow for our second planespotting excursion - so watch this space! Going to go and try the roof of the parking garage......

    Fingers crossed for clear sunny skies!

    KP

    ReplyDelete